Monday 9 January 2017

Makeup and Beauty Blog Monday Poll, Vol. 457

Happy Monday

So…what is the Monday Poll?

Well, it isn’t exactly a poll. It’s more of a constantly evolving (devolving?), somewhat random list of questions I’ve been putting out to readers every Monday morning for the past NINE (!) years. (It’s like a kickstart for your brain.) I’ve always enjoyed reading your answers in the comments, and I hope you enjoy reading mine. 🙂

1. What was the last really interesting conversation you had?

It was on Saturday with my friend Alis at Fox + Stone salon. While coloring my hair and cutting my bangs, she dropped some big news on me. She was finally moving to Vegas where her fiancé lives, which she’d been planning for and talking about for a long time, and she was literally doing it that weekend! Like, they had just packed up the U-Haul and were hitting the road the second she finished cutting my hair.

We’ve known each other for years now, and we talked about how when you’re younger, it’s easier to make bold moves because you’re used to things changing in your life. It seems like from one year to the next, or from one month to the next, you have to get used to your daily patterns changing, and your life changing, but as you move into your 30s and 40s and beyond, it becomes harder to make those kinds of big changes, for a variety of reasons.

But she was finally doing it! I mean, of course I’m gonna miss her because she’s my friend, but she also gets my hair, and it’s hard to find people you can trust who also get your hair.

2. What’s a sound that reminds you of home?

There’s a church a few blocks from here with church bells that sound twice a day — once at noon and once at six o’clock — and no matter where I am in the house, whether it’s in my office or downstairs in the living room, I can always hear those church bells.

So whenever I hear church bells, it reminds me of home.

3. Have you ever felt like an outsider?

Oh, sure. And it’s never fun. One long stretch was when I was a senior in college and living with roommates. We were all girls, and I’d previously gotten along with them, but people change, and we started doing our own things apart. I didn’t really hang out with them as much as I used to, but they kept getting closer to each other. I really got to feeling like the outsider, and I basically lived like that for a year.

I’ve also felt like an outsider at some beauty events, for sure. There always the super glamorous girls with their clicks of friends, but I just kind of do my own thing and try to make friends along the way.

4. Are you more of a back sleeper, a tummy sleeper or a side sleeper?

I usually fall asleep on my back and stay that way for most of the night until morning, when I’m half awake or half asleep, and I wiggle around and sleep on either my side or my stomach.

So, all three. 🙂

5. Walk me through how you usually style your hair.

If you’re one of those people who can just step out of the shower and comb or brush your hair, can I just say that I’m so jealous? — because my process is entirely too complicated.

It starts right after I wash and condition my hair. First, I towel dry it, then grab a flat brush and my really, really old first-gen T3 hairdryer. Then, I blow dry my bangs straight, because if I don’t do it right after I get out of the shower, they dry funny, poof up and look really ridiculous.

So, I do that, then run the brush through the rest of my hair and let it air dry, and I usually do this at night because I’m a night shower-er.

The next morning, I run the brush through my hair again to take out any knots. Then, I take a GHD curling iron, which are kind of expensive, but I think they’re really and truly the best, and I separate and part my hair into sections.

I part it right down the middle in the back, and then I do the left side first, section by section, curling the pieces, and then the right side. When it’s all done, I run my fingers through it and apply a little bit of styling cream or styling oil. Today I used the Shu Uemura oil from the mid-shaft to the ends to smooth down any frizzies.

Break in the storm

After a few days of pretty heavy rain, it looks like a brief break in the storm today, so I’m looking forward to getting some fresh air outside on a quick walk around the circle with Connor Claire.

Wherever you are, I hope you’re able to get outside for a little bit.

It’s Monday again and, as usual, I feel overwhelmed by my to-do list.

Big sigh…

But we can do this. I know we can. Have a great day today, my friend, and I’ll try to have one too. 🙂

Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,

Karen

P.S. Here are the questions to copy and paste…

1. What was the last really interesting conversation you had?
2. What’s a sound that reminds you of home?
3. Have you ever felt like an outsider?
4. Are you more of a back sleeper, tummy sleeper or side sleeper?
5. Walk me through how you usually style your hair.


The post, “Makeup and Beauty Blog Monday Poll, Vol. 457,” first appeared on Makeup and Beauty Blog | Makeup Reviews, Swatches and How-To Makeup.

from Makeup and Beauty Blog | Makeup Reviews, Swatches and How-To Makeup http://www.makeupandbeautyblog.com/just-for-fun/makeup-beauty-blog-monday-poll-vol-457/
Alt Source: Startifacts Nose Hair Trimmer

from
http://startifacts.tumblr.com/post/155632850259

No comments:

Post a Comment