Friday 6 January 2017

Why Is It So Hard to Make New Friends as an Adult?

Or is that just something with me? I dunno… I think it might be one of those things that you just don’t realize until you actually get to that point, and then one day you’re sitting around thinking, “I wish I had somebody to go to Safeway with me to get some fried chicken,” but you can’t think of anybody to call.

I mean, you guys are my friends, obviously, but it’s not like I can call you up in the middle of the afternoon, because a lot of you live halfway across the country or halfway around the world. It would be kinda hard for you to go with me to Safeway to get some fried chicken.

The big thing for me is that I don’t interact with a lot of people outside the house. I work from home, so I’m mostly in the house. You know, I go to my exercise class, but it’s not like I have a social group thing to go to every week or a set meeting like a book club.

I guess I could get involved in something like that in my town…

Looking down at one of my favorite Kauai beaches, Hideaways on the North Shore, and thinking ’bout life

I try to make friends, though, and I have met friends through the blog, like last week I met with one of the girls who reads here, Shakun (hi, Shakun!). I found out that we both live in Novato, so we met for coffee, and it was really super cool. We were actually talking about this very topic, why it’s so difficult to make new friends as an adult.

I mean, I know that it’s not equally hard for everybody, but I think that people do generally just get really busy, busier with their lives, and set in their ways too, as they get older. It’s not the same as it was when you were a teenager or in college when you could easily spend that extra hour or two to go to the mall with a friend to help her find an outfit for Friday night.

Nowadays, with those two hours, I think, my gosh! — I could be cleaning my house or doing any number of other things that need to get done.

I’m a very social person. I’m not antisocial at all, and I know that it’s better for me mentally to have a circle of friends. I’ve also read different studies about how with women, especially, it helps to have a circle of friends.

I was wondering if you’ve run into this issue, and if you have, what are some things you’ve done to expand your social circle as you’ve gotten older?

Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,

Karen

P.S. tgif. 🙂


The post, “Why Is It So Hard to Make New Friends as an Adult?,” first appeared on Makeup and Beauty Blog | Makeup Reviews, Swatches and How-To Makeup.

from Makeup and Beauty Blog | Makeup Reviews, Swatches and How-To Makeup http://www.makeupandbeautyblog.com/just-for-fun/hard-make-new-friends-adult/
Alt Source: Startifacts Nose Hair Trimmer

from
http://startifacts.tumblr.com/post/155487869774

No comments:

Post a Comment