Tuesday 28 June 2016

My Office Approved FOTD for Fearless Job Hunting!

Finished results!

My fearless job hunting face of the day

Hey, everyone! I know I haven’t mentioned it often, but at this current time, I don’t have a full-time job. As such, I apply to a LOT of jobs, and I try to go on as many interviews as I can, when I’m lucky enough to get one.

It turns out I was, in fact, lucky enough this week! It was yesterday, and I spent a lot of time last weekend planning what I would wear, how I would handle the interview, and my favorite part: my makeup.

I wanted to show you guys the neutral look I wore and the products I used to achieve it.

group 1

From top left to right: Clinique Stay Matte Oil Free Makeup ($32), Murad Invisiblur Perfecting Shield SPF 30 ($65), Milani Blush in luminoso ($8.49), E.L.F. Baked Highlighter in Moonlight Peals($4), European Wax Center’s Brow Powder Duo ($22), Too Faced Natural Eyes Palette ($36), NYX Matte Finish Setting Spray ($8), E.L.F. Eyeshadow Primer ($2), Maybelline Fit Me Concealer in Light($6.99) and Sephora Full Action Mascara ($12)

The interview was for an office coordinator position at the same school I attended for my graduate studies. I’ve worked in a few offices, and those are the kinds of positions I’ve been looking into lately for full-time work.

When I interview, I like to wear things that make me feel comfortable, because, well…I’m normally a nervous wreck when it comes to interviews. I still haven’t mastered them. Sometimes I shake worse than when I’m at the dentist’s office, and that’s a LOT of shaking.

So for this look I started with freshly cleansed and moisturized skin.

Then I applied a good layer of Murad Invisiblur Primer (I reviewed it here). It gives me a good starting point for Clinique Oil Free Stay Matte Makeup.

foundation

Clinique Oil Free Stay Matte Makeup in Linen

After dabbing Clinique Stay Matte Makeup in Linen all over my face with a beautyblender, I end up with light-to-medium coverage all over.

I still had a few visible spots that needed more coverage, and I also have a stress zit that’s threatening to pop out on the lower righthand corner of my nose. You can’t see it in this picture, but every time I smile or frown, it hurts!

So I hit the rest of my trouble spots with super blendable and easy to use Maybelline Fit Me Concealer in Light. This includes my chin, the corners of my nose, and in certain spots around the corners of my mouth.

concealer

Maybelline Fit Me Concealer in Light, perfect for covering light blemishes!

Once I was done with my initial base, I moved onto blush and highlight. Nicole gave some love to Milani Luminoso Blush in her Unsung Heroes post, and everything she had to say about it convinced me that I needed it too.

It gives a perfect peachy pink flush that isn’t too overpowering. I also added a bit of a highlight using E.L.F. Baked Highlighter in Moonlight Pearls on the high points of my cheeks, my nose, and around my brows.

Next, and I know that this can seem a bit backward, but sometimes I do things a bit backward when it comes to my makeup. After my face was done, I moved onto my eyes.

The $36 Too Faced Natural Eyes Palette was my first “high end” palette purchase, and I love it so far!

I wear neutral eyes most of the time, and the shades in this palette are all really versatile and easy to wear from day to night. (Karen did a full review of the palette here.)

heaven 1

I went with a daytime look using Heaven/Cashmere Bunny/Sexpresso.

After applying E.L.F. Eyeshadow Primer, I blended Heaven (a cream matte) all over my lid and into my brow bone. Then I picked up Cashmere Bunny (a taupe matte) and blended that into my crease.

I noticed that my lines were a bit harsh after this step, so I grabbed a blending brush (like this one from E.L.F.) and sorted that out real quick.

That’s a bit better!

That’s a bit better!

Finally, I took Sexpresso (a deep brown matte) and packed it into my lash line as my liner. I blended it out a little, sort of like how Jen does in this post.

My last steps were to add a coat of Sephora Full Action Mascara in Black, which I got as a sample, and fill in my brows. Sephora Full Action Mascara gives full, soft lashes without being irritating.

The brow powder is one I’ve had for a while that I got from European Wax Center when a friend of mine worked there. I prefer using powders in the summer because I’m more apt to sweat off a cream.

I also put a balm on my lips with the intention of prepping them for a lipstick, but I was so nervous and late by the time I got uptown (it takes a little over an hour to get there from where I live in Brooklyn) that I went into the interview with bare lips.

Overall, I think the interview went well, and I feel good about it. And even if I don’t get the job, it was good practice, and good makeup practice as well! 🙂

I also snapped a picture of my makeup at the end of the day for comparison:

End of the day for comparison

End of the day for comparison

This was after my 45-minute interview, two hours of commuting, and also having to deal with a very humid day in NYC. I did get a little mascara transfer, but that’s about it. I made a note to pick up some blotting sheets, though! My glasses were sliding down my nose all day. 🙁

I hope you liked this FOTD! Do you have any tried and true interviewing tips? What are some of your favorite looks as far as makeup and outfits go for when you’re job hunting? Let me know in the comments!


Marcella Yakalis


Marcella Yakalis is a freelance writer living and working in Brooklyn, New York, with two cats, one snake, and one very patient boyfriend. She writes about family, relationships, and oppressive retail culture. She can also be found on Twitter and Instagram.

The post, “My Office Approved FOTD for Fearless Job Hunting!,” first appeared on Makeup and Beauty Blog | Makeup Reviews, Swatches and How-To Makeup.

from Makeup and Beauty Blog | Makeup Reviews, Swatches and How-To Makeup http://www.makeupandbeautyblog.com/face-of-the-day-fotd/office-approved-fotd-fearless-job-hunting/
Alt Source: Startifacts Nose Hair Trimmer

from
http://startifacts.tumblr.com/post/146621039369

No comments:

Post a Comment